RE: swapping frames--HELP!

To: Gary Fluke <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: swapping frames--HELP!
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:58:20 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Gary Fluke wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> Do autocrossers
> and racers generally increase the steering gear ratio of a TR6?

A common "trick" in days gone by was to replace the TR6 rack with the TR4
rack... although it might have been the 4A rack. I'm fuzzy on the details.

This trick gives quicker steering response.

I don't speak for all autocrossers, but the TR6 regular setup is plenty
quick for this driver. I wouldn't update to a quicker rack unless there
was no suitable alternative.

I might point out that at one point in the past, some of the steering rack
stuff was drying up. In response to that, rebuild costs for TR6 racks
escalated. One response to the increase in cost was that it was now
cost-justified to look into alternate racks.

The Brits seem to like this upgrade, but they don't use the same tires
that we do over here (on the track), so that might be part of it.

> Gary
> '73

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |