Steering Help Needed Fast!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Help Needed Fast!
From: "Riveting Images" <kerry@riveting-images.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:48:13 -0500
Good Morning listers,

I've been rebuilding the front suspension on my '74 TR6. This has included all
new poly bushings, new lower control arms, new right side vertical link, new
lower trunnions, new steering rack bushes, etc.

Last night I connected the vertical link to the lower trunion/spring pan, as
well as the upper ball joint. When done, it took tremendous effort to turn the
vertical link by pulling on the arm the tie-rod mounts to. The lower trunnion
moved freely on the vertical link before being assembled to the lower control
arms. The upper ball joint also moved freely. With the tie rod connected only
to the driver's side, and the fromn of the car up on jack stands, it takes
nearly as much effort to turn just the driver's side with the steering wheel
as it does to turn the wheel of the caar when it's on tires but not moving.

The passenger side can almost not be moved by hand (the tie rod is not
connected) and when it does move, there is a metal-metal sound but I can't
tell if it's coming from the top or bottom.

I've checked everything 5 times. Everything is where it should be. left is
left, front is front, top is top, etc. I'm a t a loss right now, but am
wondering if the suspension geometry, with the springs installed but no
wheel/tire weight hanging on it and everything under the tension of the
springs is causing this? I'm hoping I'm chasing a problem ui don't have.

The worst part is I have to get the car buttoned up tonight so I can get it
aligned tomorrow, so I can take it to Michigan on Friday! HELP!

Many thanks in advance for your experienced advice!

Blue Skies....

Kerry

Riveting Images
http://www.riveting-images.com