Re: Drill bits and clutch fork -- Beginner question

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Drill bits and clutch fork -- Beginner question
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:59:00 -0400
Thanks to all who responded.

I think these are cobalt bits. They are goldish colored. They are 1/8"
bits, and are marked "Champion" and  "CO - US". This was a new one.

I bought them years ago as "the best bit I could buy" and drilled tons
of screw holes through steel plate that I used to construct laminated
wood and steel beams for my garage -- 24' spans.

It was not "walking" on the clutch fork -- just would not bite. The bit
  still feels sharp.

I know about the feed and speed stuff. I was drilling slowly and using
oil. Looked like the cast iron clutch fork was just way to hard for the
bit. I thought cast iron was soft and easy to drill. Doesn't make sense
to me.

The clutch fork pin is broken off, and I'm trying to drill a hole in the
opposite end of the clutch fork, from the pin, so I can punch out the
broken clutch fork pin and remove the clutch fork from the shaft. Per
Nelson.

Beginners.....

Don Malling