Re: Still Trouble Shooting

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Still Trouble Shooting
From: "Jeffrey B. Fetner" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:02:40 +0600
Al,
   I had nothing but trouble from very fine rust in the tank.  It wasn't
just in the tank but clogging the short metal line from the tank output.  I
removed and cleared that, but it had clogged the first foot or so of the
long metal line.  I cut a length off and was able to run a heavy copper wire
the length of the long middle fuel pipe.  Lots of fine rust crud had settled
in there.   Finally pulled the tank (it's easy) and dried it out.
    I put a bunch of marbles in the dry tank and shook it around - it broke
up the layer of old gas crud that coated the bottom foot or so of the tank.
(the car had sat for 10 years I guess).  I then directed the electric leaf
blower down the filler neck and a volcano of rust/crud flakes  blew out the
fuel gauge sender hole.  Reinstalled and only got a very small amount of
rust in the pre-fuel pump filter.
   All-in-all, I should have taken the tank to a pro, but I didn't want to
spend $200 on a tank job.  The car is destined to be a budget daily runner,
so I'll see how it works long term.  Pulling the tank also let me remove and
repair the frozen fuel sender - works great now.   Good luck!

Jeff
CF13816U