Fuel Consumption

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Consumption
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:52:37 +0000
Hi All,

OK its 4:36 am Saturday morning and I finally have some down time.  I've
done a very rough estimate of fuel consumption for the three trips I took,
totaling 461 miles.  I didn't take care to make sure the tank was returned
to exactly the same level as when I started counting gallons filled and thus
there is some error involved.  Nevertheless, I calculated 21.2 MPG.  So I
suppose that isn't too terribly bad.  Especially since the longest of the
three trips was at elevated speeds and it also included some running around
town and up and down through the mountains.  Of course I'd like to be at 25.
  Maybe by next year I'll get around to cleaning up, servicing and
installing the A-type I've bought for her.

Something that has developed (unfortunately) is that the starter does not
like to turn when the motor is hot.  It draws the current but seems to get
temporarily seized or something.  I figure that I'm cooking it to death with
my header and likely over rich condition (though my engine runs great).  It
will turn after 10 to 15 minutes of the motor being off and though not
strongly, sufficient to get her running.  Of course I have a spare lucas
starter in my barn which I'll get around to installing likely next year or
something.  The gear reduction starters sound great though (even though they
are not original).  Could I expect the nex-fangled gear reduction starters
to stand up to a good barbecue-ing more so than the stock lucas starters?

Thanks all.  Your camaraderie and support is something I look forward to on
a regular basis.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert
1969 TR6