Oil separator surprise

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil separator surprise
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:39:14 -0700
I had realized that I had a problem with oil in the crankcase vapor
when I had my Weber DGVs on. I had just installed roller rockers and,
in addition to an oil feed line and alloy valve cover, soon had quite a
mess. I switched back to the stock valve cover (as it has a baffle) and
had less of a mess (but a lot more leakage around the gasket), but it
was still bad enough that I closed my eyes and put my Strombergs back
on, therefore hiding how much oil was going into the engine. I then
found out about Goodparts' oil separator and ordered one in, ahem,
January. I finally installed it a week ago and decided to plug the
return line instead of routing the oil back to the crankcase. What the
heck - I could drain it every now and then, and how much could be
coming out anyway? I checked it today after a grand total of 40 miles
and drained about 40ml (3oz.) of oil out. I believe that works out to a
quart every 150 miles or so. One caveat is that I put my alloy valve
cover back on when I installed the separator. In any case, I will be
hooking up the oil return...

Jay
'73 TR6

NFI (which means negative financial interest in my case as I keep
buying things from Richard - next up is the triple Stromberg setup...)