Re: yellow striped hoses

To: "Steve R." <triumphtr6@cox.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: yellow striped hoses
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:16:06 -0400
The yellow hoses are no longer available, unless you include home made ones.

My understanding from talking to the TR250 guru at the TRF summer party
was that there were two different styles. The later version was silk
screened on the cloth covered hoses and the earlier version was yellow
colored rubber and was part of the hose -- forgot what he called it, but
it was not painted on or silk screened on as were the later ones. The
earlier hoses were not cloth covered -- they were the typical smooth
black hoses.

I have one of the later hoses (silk screened), and the yellow stripe is
1/2" wide. The black "stripe" is also 1/2" wide. The pitch of the spiral
is also 1/2".

Imagine the stripe pitch looking like /////// where the right hand edge
of the  yellow stripe at the top of the hose lines up with the left hand
edge of the next stripe on the bottom of the hose.

On the earlier version -- the non silk screened one, the pitch is much
more elongated or stretched out.

At the TRF party I was left with the impression that both the early and
late versions that were on the cars were NOS. I could be mistaken about
  the earlier ones -- the smooth black ones. Maybe they were someone's
reproduction. But the later silk screened ones were identical to my
original ones.

Also, for the silk screened ones it appears that the silk screening took
place while the hoses were straight, and then bent later. The stripes
are closer together on the inside radius of the bend and wider apart on
the outside radius.

I would like to try to make some, if I could find some yellow flexible
paint that would stick well to the black rubber hoses. I bought some at
an arts/crafts shop but have not tried it yet.

I think Vance found some, but I could never find in at my local stores
-- can't remember what brand it was.

Don Malling