Re: Rechrome Quality

To: slowtoaccept@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Rechrome Quality
From: "steve bridge" <slbridge@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:16:17 +0000
      I had an opportunity to visit a plating operation and what amazed me
the most was the finish of a piece before the plating process began.  A
Winchester rifle ready for plating looked as though it had been plated
already.  The finish was sanded with progressively finer sandpaper until it
shined like chrome.  So I can see where deep pitting would be more expensive
to fill and prep as opposed to polishing it out and leaving a ripple.
     I have made potmetal welding rod from broken trim to be used with a TIG
welder to make repairs on broken trim.  I don't know if  that's what they
use to fill pits for the concours type plating, but I'm sure any method is
time consuming and costly.  After the trip throough the plating plant, I
have thought of doing my own prep work since I know best how far I want to
go with a piece.
SD Steve