gearbox top cover

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearbox top cover
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 06:59:47 -0600
Howdy 6 packers,

I'm in the middle of doing a top cover R & R to replace leaky o-rings on the
shafts. So far all is going well but I have two questions.

1. Reverse and O/D switches - Other than the shims used to align the
switches on their corresponding shafts there doesn't appear to be a sealing
mechanism of any kind for these switches. If we need o-rings on the shafts,
would we also not need something to seal the oil that might get past the
switch threads? What if anything have others used?

2. Gearbox with cover removed - Getting the cover off is a somewhat lengthy
procedure involving removing a large part of the interior. Is there anything
I can check in the gearbox while I have the cover off? Everything seems to
work fine on mine but if there is anything I can do while I can peek inside
might as well do it now.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO