Welding the block???

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Welding the block???
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:59:06 +0000
Hello all,

One of my TR6 engines had significant oil leaks.  The motor was rebuilt and
ran/runs fantastically.  The leaks were discovered to be threefold: the
valve cover gasket (now replaced and remedied); the fuel pump (and not the
gasket, rather the fuel pump itself, which I dont understand exactly but
have nevertheless also remedied) one interesting thing that has not been
remedied: a pinhole in the block.  Now after evaluation, this pinhole is
neither a result of any cracks nor the result of any stresses but rather a
manufacturing air bubble in the casting process.  The hole, on the surface
of the black, is very small: approx. 0.6 mm.  It is located on top of the
boss for the alternator mounting.  It is visible and very accessible.

Though my particular background as a mechanical engineer somewhat covered
new-material manufacturing processes, my personal experience never
encompassed welding cast materials such as our TR6 engine block.  I would
imagine that MIG welding would suffice to zap the point of the pinhole for
just a second.  Then I could grind the spot flat again (or not).  Oil
pressure is nothing compared to welded steel, which is to say the weld
wouldnt need to penetrate the surface more than to ensure a solid spot of
weld.

I request any and all input, especially from those of you with a lot of TR6
engine-building experience.  Thanks (again).

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert
1969 TR6 and nothing else (except maybe a motor or two, some spare doors, a
top, a hood, a trunk, countless wheels, tires, seats, boxes and boxes full
of electrical parts, other boxes full of NOS parts meticulously purchased
and collected over the years, suspension parts hanging from every available
square inch of the barn, calipers, axles, diffs, carburetors, . . . .
aaaaaahhhhhkkkk, help me, I have some kind of Triumph disease!)