[Fwd: Re: Squealing Clutch]

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Squealing Clutch]
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:18:28 -0400
Seems to me I read somewhere that the TR6 frames were made in Italy.
Lots of the replacement parts are made in Taiwan. Maybe start with
removing the non British frame? Your Father in law will soon have a
simulated TR6 too if he removes everything not British.

On a more serious side, Joachim Gunst recommends the Luk and warns
against the B&B with bent fingers -- he claims no customer's wife has
ever complained about the Luk pedal pressure. Other experts on the list
have had good success with the B&B bent fingers (the only kind you can
get these days) and the Gunst bearing. But I agree with your Father in
law. The Gunst bearing is expensive.

Two somewhat different explanations of the problem:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Clutch/ReliableClutch/ReliableClutch.htm
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/clutch-laycock.html

Don Malling

john.harriet wrote:
 > Hi folks, professional lurker here. My father- in- law is actually
the one
 > that owns the TR6, but I hope to one day either buy it from him or
purchase
 > one, so I follow this list absorbing as much as possible. So on to my
 > question. John replaced his clutch recently. Now, he's quite fond of
British
 > engineering, being a British engineer has something to do with this I
suppose,
 > but he is very disappointed with his new Borg and Beck kit that he just
 > installed. It squeals and sticks. He also noted that the TO bearing
did not
 > spin freely like the old one. I sent him the VTR article on this
issue hoping
 > that would help, but I am still confused about a solution. He will not
 > probably go to the lengths to find NOS Laycocks or B&B's, and a Gunst
bearing
 > is just not....British! And, it's too expensive in his view. So, what
is the
 > best off the shelf way to solve this problem? In my eyes, the only other
 > option is to buy the LUK clutch. But the whole reason he replaced the
clutch
 > in the first place was that he didn't like the force it took to
engage the
 > sport clutch that was originally installed, and I have read that the
LUK takes