Re: New thin syncros

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: New thin syncros
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:36:08 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

"Thin" synchros are pretty much all you can get from the big three. They
do fit the tranny synchro hubs, but are not nearly as robust as the
originals were. That said, I have had some level of success with them. If
John Esposito says that he rejects them, that's good enough for me.

So, what's a TR owner to do?

If you have any trannies that are suitable parts donors, take them apart.
You can re-use the synchros. To re-use them, you need to fit them up to
your tranny and measure the gap from the synchro to the synchro hub. This
dimension is listed in the Bentley factory reprint. I think it's in the
.030 range, but I could be wrong. If the gap is too small, you can re-face
the synchros by using some emery cloth and a flat surface. Use some oil as
a lubricant and rub the faces in a circular motion. It doesn't take too
long to mill of enough to get them back to spec.

If you use the right tranny lube (GL4) and you don't beat your tranny too
hard, a careful rebuild will last a good, long time. I have no data
points, but I could see getting a lot more than 100k miles from a set of
factory synchros.

The moral of the story - don't toss your old synchros unless that have
been refaced or broken. They are re-usable.

rml