shaking steering wheel

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: shaking steering wheel
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:51:08 EDT
My steering wheel shakes an awful lot despite a complete front end rebuild
with upgraded bushings, new springs and  new shocks.  I replaced the steering
rack mounts with the billet aluminum mounts from Richard Good. (amplifies the
problem for sure)  The front end was professionally aligned, and the tires are
new.   I knew the wire wheels were not the best, so I tried to get rid of the
shaking by putting  2 new Dayton's on the front end.  They were true from the
factory.    I'm hoping that the shaking is just due to poorly balanced wheels.
I cannot find anyone locally who can spin balance the wheels per the Dayton
instructions.  So, my mechanic used the same technique as he uses on everything
else. The shaking starts at 60mph and does not go away.  I can suppress the
shaking if I really grasp the wheel firmly, but this is fatiguing.  Any ideas?
Joe Davis (my 3d posting after a 300 mile trip)