loose hub bearings

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: loose hub bearings
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:41:42 EDT
Why can't I get my front wheel bearings adjusted right?  I tightened the
castle nut (drivers side) until snug, then backed off a flat.  It is too loose
( I
think)  There is an intermittent, slight high pitched whistle from the wheel
at 60mph, worse when turning to the left.  There is slight play in the hub
when the wheel (wires) is rocked back and forth. "click, click"  It seems to be
"just right" when the castle nut is tightened such that the cotter pin cannot
be inserted.  Am I damaging the bearing or axle stub?
Joe Davis