Re: Chrome vs. painted wire wheels

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome vs. painted wire wheels
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:00:11 -0400
Hi Don,

> Does this say there is no heat issue with stainless steel
> spokes. That is, they will not seize and will not have to be
> heated or if heated they will not discolor.

Depending on how hot, you can often times buff and polish out the
discoloration in stainless steel.  The other thing to keep in mind is with
Dayton wires, any heat you apply to the junction between the rim and the
spoke will seriously mess up the sealant that Dayton applies all the way
around the inside of the inner rim.  The sealant is used so you can use
tubeless tires without any worries of air leakage past the spokes.  It
accumulates in the individual spoke holes in the rim, and at that point is
about 1/8" thick in each depression.

> Also, do you know if the TR250 came with painted, chrome, or
> either?

You'll have to reference Piggot's book, at the moment I don't have my copy,
so I cannot be certain on that point.

> Did AH 3000 BJ8 come with chrome or painted?

I think there is an "Original" book for the Healeys too, which I do not
own... since my level of interest in the Big Healeys starts with the 100 and
ends with the 100-6.

Kai