RE: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION

To: <gprtech@frontiernet.net>, "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Subject: RE: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:16:19 +1000
RE: condensation or oxidation of fuel lines and system.

An interesting idea although I am quite certain there would have still been
fuel in the lines and at the metering unit even though the tank was empty.

Given that the injection system only works when there is pressure at the
metering unit I imagine the engine would stop as soon as the pump was unable
to grab more fuel to push - similarly if the pump is turned off when the
engine is running it will stop the engine instantly (i can prove this).

Given that the car was left on a downhill slope it had fuel in the lines and
the only reason it stopped was that the pump was no longer receiving fuel
from the tank to keep the system pressurised between the pump(in the
boot)and the metering unit at the engine.

The pump could be heard audibly spinning freely without fuel in it.  After
fuel was added and the pump turned on i heard the tone of the pump change as
it grabbed fuel and pressurised the system.

I don't know whether the bosch pump is capable of pushing air.  If it can
push air into the line then that will be where it get interesting and may
explain the problems.

Glen.