Chasing a short

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chasing a short
From: "John Phillips" <TR6@vigoris.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:07:01 -0500
Dwayne Cooper, here is a pretty simple, logical way to trouble shoot a
short.  Place a simple voltage tester between the grounding strap and the
negative battery post.  Turn everything off.  If the light glows, start
pulling fuses one at a time.  When the light goes out you have isolated to
circuit with the problem.

If the light does not go out after removing all the fuses, start
disconnecting the brown wires from the positive cable.  When the light goes
out etc., etc.

A couple of likely suspects are the wiper motor (they can short when they
get wet while washing the engine bay and yes I found out the hard way) and
the anti-run-on valve (check the hook up at the oil pressure switch to make
sure it is wired properly).

Once you know which circuit is problematic, start checking the things on
that circuit.  Wish you were close by, I love doing that stuff.

John Phillips, Claremore, OK
Green Country Triumphs
76 TR6 CF51655
http://members.cox.net/gctok/