RE: Chasing a short

To: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chasing a short
From: "Bert Van der Stee" <bert.van.der.stee@pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:51:35 +0200
Dwayne
the same thing happened to me a few years ago, and it turned out to be the
alternator that was internally causing the short.  Disconnecting the battery
indeed saved the battery but of course did not solve the problem.
I my case, I replaced the alternator + battery and problem solved.

You have a 74 car.  I guess in your case yours comes with the volt meter on
the dash ? Mine is earlier and had the amphre meter, which indicated
discharging in my case.
With the engine running you should be able to measure between 13,5 and 14,5
volts over the two terminals - that is with a properly working alternator.
You can also disconnect your battery and wait for a week (if you are so
patient).  If still OK then you at least know it is probably not the
battery.  Or switch with a battery of another car of course.

Rgds,

Bert
72 TR6

P.S.: if you think you could use some more theory on this topic - you should
consider buying Dan Master's electrical handbook.  That helped me out big
time, since I am also low on electrical theory (amongst others...)