Re: Plastic window scratches

To: pjgraffam@juno.com
Subject: Re: Plastic window scratches
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:59:06 -0500
Al,

This may too radical for your situation but a friend told me of an old
trick using acetone to clean the window.  He's used this process many
times to bring the old scratched, dull, foggy window finish back to new
condition.

Using a metal or glass cup, pour the acetone across the top of the
window.  Be sure to start with enough in the cup that you can fully
drench the window from top to bottom.
Lay many towels at the bottom to soak up the fluid as it passes by the
window.
Be careful of any painted surfaces.
Do this in a warm, well ventilated environment (not is direct sun
though).
Don't touch for 1 hour.
Be careful......you might want to try it first on an old plastic window
that you won't be using.

Has anyone out there tried this before?

Other remedies offered up the list:

Novus Plastic Polish is highly recommended.
Meguiars Plastic Cleaner (M17) to buff out scratches followed by Meguiars
Plastic Polish (M10) to coat the plastic & protect it.around $7 a
bottle.
Airport pilot shops are a good source of plastic cleaning supplies.
Good luck,
Jay