Re: Camshaft Survey

To: g.dito@worldnet.att.net (Gregory Dito)
Subject: Re: Camshaft Survey
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:59:11 -0800 (PST)
Greg---I just installed the same cam as Irv. It is the Z-19 as designed
by Iskenderian. I was thinking it would be somewhere between the stock
grind just removed, and the S-2 that I had in years ago. The S-2 shows
282 deg. of duration, with a 42-71, 71-42 open and closed, and .405 lift
at the valve.

 The Z-19 showed 267 deg. of duration, with a 24-64 64-24 open and
closed, with .384 lif at the valve. Isky takes their opening measurement
after .020 lifter rise, but I don't know where the S-2 was taken from.

The stock cam seems to be taken from .005 lifter rise to get it's 256
deg. duration. (Later cam)

So, I got a lesson from all of this. One needs to know where the grinder
takes his figures from. (.005? .020? .050?) The Isky feels like the S-2,
yet a little stronger at the bottom half. I quickly hit the rev limiter
at 6,000, so I know it will easily go beyond.

The engine will idle lumpily at 800, but happier at 1000. There is no
doubt it is ground for performance higher up the band.  I will use it
for a while, but it's not exactly what I was looking for.

Dick T.
'73