RE: wiring harness question

To: "'Brooks Bullock'" <airsmyth@adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: wiring harness question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:57:06 -0800
        Brooks:

        I *AM* impressed. Very knowledgeable reply...

        My '74 also has the system, and it was defeated by the PO in
exactly the manner you describe. Another possible cause is
that the passenger seat switch is shorted, so the module thinks
there is someone in the passenger seat. In this case the
"BELTS" light on the dash should illuminate, if I am not mistaken.
        Just to clarify, the seatbelt interlocks on the ignition
were federally mandated for the 1974 model year. The law lasted just
one year because the public threatened to lynch congress if they did
not repeal it. Rumor has it that an important member of congress
was unable to get his 1974 automobile to start because of the
mandated system, and he introduced a bill in congress shortly
thereafter to repeal the law. Go figure.
        Standard Triumph need not take any credit for this bodge.
We can thank the safety Nazis in congress for this one....

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom