Re: Universal joints

To: pjgraffam@juno.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Universal joints
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:19:29 -0700
Al, I must say that I am a little wary of using them after my experience
last year.  I got a set of u-joints and the problem I had was that the
hole for the grease fittings is in the same plane as the yoke, instead
of slight angle to the plane of the yoke.  The net result is that it is
next to impossible to grease the things when they are installed on the
car (particularly the rear halfshafts) unless you happen to be lucky.
ISTR the outer u-joint was impossible to grease with it on the car, but
I wouldnt take a chance.  Moss would have taken them back if they werent
opened, but I found out the problem after I put them on the car so they
said I was SOL.  What annoyed me was they made it sound like it was my
problem because I wasn't experienced to see that they wouldnt work.  I
would hope that they got the message that they should stop selling those
u-joints.  Thats my 2 cents, FWIW.

John - 1976 TR6

Al wrote:>>>
I ordered a set of joints from Moss only to find later from one of our
expert machanics who has had experience with them that they are NOT to
be
trusted . . . the U joints that is.  Anybody want to put in their 2
cents?