RE: Cam question at Triumph 2000 Web page

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Cam question at Triumph 2000 Web page
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:09:58 -0800
        Folks:

        Be careful with the Elgin cam page. While they list a
"TR5 replacement" cam, I do not believe it is a blueprinted
design. I think it is Elgin's own design, and as such would
be a more modern design than the original TR5 cam.
        Also, be certain to differentiate between the PI cams
and the carbureted (US spec) cams. The original PI cam was
stout (150HP) and the later PI cam was milder and rated at
126HP I believe.
        It is interesting to note that as the US
smog regulations choked the life out of the 2.5 6 pot, Triumph
put the later PI cam in the US motors to recover some horsepower.
They never did get to the 126HP that the cam delivered in European
trim, however. The compression was much too low for the cam to
perform well...

        Cheers,

        Vance