Fwd: Cool air intake for carbs.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Cool air intake for carbs.
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:28:28 -0800 (PST)
As others have said, you get more power from cooler air, because it is
more dense.  The TR250/6 can especially benefit here, because the head
is not cross-flow, and thus the header is directly below the carbs.
Result: the carbs are breathing some really hot air!

Remember that the carbs are each breathing through 1.75" holes, for a
total swept area of 4.8 square inches.  A single 3" pipe has more swept
area than this (about 7.1 square inches), so it won't restrict the
intake air flow at all.  Area of a circle is an exponential function
(Area = pi * radius^2), so a small increase in diameter yields a larger
increase in area.

You stand to gain some power by mounting an air filter (K&N conical
style, for example) directly behind the radiator grill, and run a 3"
hose from the filter to an airbox that bolts to the carbs.  Just look
at the popular sports compact scene: cold air intakes are a quick and
easy way to a couple of extra ponies.  Richard Good makes a nice cold
air intake system, for both dual and triple carb setups.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6