Re: Spin-On Oil Filter

To: <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spin-On Oil Filter
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:07:22 -0000
David Friedlander wrote:
I've read on this list that the Fram Tough Guard 3600 is a good filter. The
Tough Guard keeps oil in the filter at startup so oil pressure comes up
quickly.

This theme crops up periodically on another US Triumph list where Fram seems
to be widely held in some contempt. Somewhere out on the 'net is a site
where one guy cut a Fram filter in half, didn't like what he found and
condemned the whole range. But if you only pay $2.50 odd for a filter and
expect a quality product, it's time to come down out of the trees. Any
filter (in Europe anyway) with an anti-drain valve meets effectively instant
oil pressure on cold start up. The valve itself is that piece of rubber
immediately underneath the filter head beneath the holes.

Replacing filters has been a bit tricky for some listers to get the o-ring
to seat properly. But with a bit of care, these units work great.

I use Fram PH2895 on my 2.5PI - angled to about 7 o'clock. It's a long one
and this makes it easy to get a filter strap on the bottom from underneath
the car. Also has considerably increased filter media. On the sealing side
of things as David said, the secret is to ensure the inner and outer rings
between the adaptor housing and the block are precisely in place. A smear of
grease on the inner O ring will hold it in place to mate exactly with the
block and then nip up the adaptor tight. From that point onwards, filter
changing requires only the filter to be spun on or off the adaptor. When
fitting new filters, smear the filter sealing ring with clean oil, spin on
until the sealing ring just 'kisses' the adaptor and then tighten 1/2 to 3/4
of a turn. You're then 'in business' = and no leaks.

Jonmac