Re: Timing chain

To: tjh173@yahoo.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing chain
From: "Cris Hemingway" <cris_tr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:30:10 -0700
I just did my timing chain and gears this spring.

Changing the chain without replacing the gears is a waste of time and money,
as the chain will prematurely wear to the "stretched" pitch of the worn
sprockets, and you will soon find youself doing the job over again, and
blaming poor quality chain instead of the real culprit, which is that the
teeth of the timing sprockets are worn and thus the effective pitch does not
match the new chain.

I used the Moss parts - no issues with quality for me.

Also, instead of going to all the trouble of moving the steering rack, put a
hydraulic jack under the motor, and gently jack it up to where you can get
the pulley/damper assembly off.  That is how I did mine, and I didn't even
have to loosen off the motor mounts to get enough lift for the pulley to
clear.

Be sure to shim the crank gear properly to align it with the cam gear or
again, you will be doing the job all over again in a few months, as
misalignment with chew @#$%^& out of the teeth.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the job.

Cris Hemingway