Re: Timing chain

To: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>, 6pack list
Subject: Re: Timing chain
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:58:53 -0400
Tim,

I did this job over the winter so maybe I can help.

You can move the steering rack enough without removing the steering column
and the lower boxed chassis member will not interfere with the damper or
timing cover removal (or replacement).

Removing the lower sprocket is not at all difficult.  I used a small puller
and it slid right off.  I'm not sure that you need to replace it though.
One thought on this.  When you replace the top sprocket, it may effect the
alignment of the chain (ie the sprockets may not be perfectly aligned).  If
this is the case, you will have to remove the lower sprocket to re-shim into
alignment.

Can't comment on the quality of the new sprockets, but I'd be cautious about
components from the far east (remember the tranny syncros?)  Does
Racetorations carry these sprockets?  Might be worth the extra$$$

Good luck,
Peter
'68 TR250