Re: Old wives tale?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old wives tale?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:35:19 -0400
Ted Stevens wrote:

> I believe those 6 bolts *can* let go, since they strip so easily.
>
> Is the "Tonys_Rollover.mpg" video file still available somewhere? > Was
that an IRS car or solid axle? Did the axle break, or the hub

I'm glad Dick started this topic, in the thread from last week I was going
to post that the six studs that hold the hub to the trailing arm and the
four bolts holding the axle of the differential flange are the weakest
aspects of the rear end.  I have had my four bolts holding the axle to the
differential ripped out of the axle and differential flange.  I have also
had four out of the six trailing arm studs strip out while the car was in
use.

I was lucky with the four diff bolts, they finally let go when I was leaving
a gas pump.  I'm sure in this case that at least two were gone previous to
the total failure, as I think it is unlikely for the bolts to sheer through
the flanges if all four were present and tight.  I actually felt the
trailing arm studs fail, I was navigating a turn and hit a large pot hole
with that wheel, and I'm sure that and the speed of which I was carrying
through the turn exacerbated the failure of the studs considerably.  However
the rear end became immediately twitchy and there was definitely some
clunking noise from that wheel as I tried to make my home (slowly).  Had I
ignored it, I am sure I would have lost that wheel.

Tony's car was a solid axle, as was the car that flipped at Mid-Ohio.

I'd love to hear from someone that has had a TR6 rear hub failure, and lost
a wheel as a result.  Pics would be a tremendous help also.

I am of the belief, that keeping your hub and axle components tightened and
too the proper specs will ensure that you don't experience any surprise
failures.  Had I checked the torque on the studs on the trailing arm and
that of those holding the axle to the differential when I purchased the car,
I highly doubt I would have experienced any failure.

Kai