rear lug stud installation

To: <6Pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear lug stud installation
From: "Phillip J. Pallone" <ppallones@core.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:28:09 -0700
Hello All!

I've posted a couple of questions already on this list with many responses -
thanks!  Some of my previous questions I must admit sounded like they came
from a "newbee" (which I admit I am).  But this one may stump a few of
you...

I have a 74 TR6.  I discovered the other day while checking out my rear
brakes that a wheel stud was broken (it actually broke in my hands as I was
putting the wheel back on - pretty lucky really).  I promptly removed the
broken one, plus the other 3 (big mistake) per Bentley by "gently" tapping
them out.  They all came out.  I bought 8 new ones from TRF with the intent
to change them all.

My question is:  is there a trick to installing them?  I took about 6 or so
washers (yes - the first 3 had a larger ID to accommodate the larger OD of
the stud near the head), assembled them, and started rapping away.  I used a
large screw driver under the washers and wedged it against the concrete
floor.  I used the lug nut to try to draw the stud in.  It worked for the
first few turns, then the force I applied down lifted the rear wheel
suspension - to the point where the screw driver became dislodged.  I looked
for other ways to get some leverage, but no success (I didn't want to break
anything).  I also reinstalled the drum and wheel, lowered the car to the
ground, and tried to really hammer the lug studs to try to draw the them in.
Still no success - there is still about 1/16-1/8 to go before the tapered
head seats.

I'm also worried about damaging the bearings with all the pounding.  I
measured about 0.006-0.007 inch end play, which is already above the max
that Bentley recommends.

With all the studs about 75% of the way in, I could probably drive it to a
garage for some help - but of course would rather do it myself.

I'll eagerly await any responses - we have at least a few more days of good
weather in Cleveland before it starts to snow again!

Thanks.

Phil Pallone
CF22155U