Re: Servo Unit question

To: "Pat Leask" <pleask@shaw.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Servo Unit question
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:37:21 -0400
> Since I put the car on the road after a full ground up (
http:\\members.shaw.ca\pleask ) I have this annoying "Something is
rattling/loose" feel on the brake pedal (and clutch) when I apply the brakes
very softly from say 20 MPH down to zero. I have searched hi and low, ck'd
all the suspention stuff, steering, hood etc and it is all tight. Having
never driven the car before the restoration I do not know the history of
this servo, I bet that helps hu ! The brakes work great ! Solid as
anything..... When I apply the hand brake only no noise or feel of anything
loose at all.

> After burning around in the car tonight I have come to the conclustion
(thought) that this "rattling/loose" feeling is coming from the servo unit.
Knowing next to nothing about Servo's I was hoping one of you could shed
some light on this subject for me ?

Hi Pat,

My guess is that your problem is more likely associated with the pedal
bearings than the servo.

There are notes on the Buckeye Triumphs website that address some of these
issues:

Pedal issues at:
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Pedal/Pedal.htm

Theory of servo operation in last part of:
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Theory/Theory.htm

Details of inside of servo at:
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Servo/Servo.htm

Nelson Riedel