RE: paint type

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: paint type
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:32:40 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I could mistaken, but I believe the "proper" torque for the stock TR6 wheels
> (well, the steel wheels anyway) is ~55 ft-lb. Or rather, that's the spec in
> the Bentley manual if I recall correctly.

80-90 ft/lbs is _way_ over tightened. I always tighten mine to 65.

> I also seem to recall someone
> posting a note to either here or the triumphs list stating that if the steel
> wheels are over torqued, over time they will develop cracks at the lug
> holes. For some reason I seem to think Bob Lang might have been the poster
> of that note. Bob, do you recall anything about this?

There is an article in one of the Moss publications by Ken Gillanders (of
British Frame and Engine fame) that describes this syndrome. In the
article, Ken suggests that cracks form around the tapered seat where the
lugs contact the wheel due to over-tightening.

Regarding the thick paint "crushing", think of it this way. You lay on
paint in thicknesses of _way_ under .001 inch. Think microns. Even if you
put on 100 coats of paint, the "crush" would be under .001". Whoever
proffered the advice that painting these surfaces would lead to problems
due to the paint "crushing" or "smooshing" is sadly mistaken.

> Of course, YMMV.

Exactly.

> Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |