RE: TR6 Seats/BMW Seats

To: jmlozano@ismi.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Seats/BMW Seats
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:20:47 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 jmlozano@ismi.net wrote:

> How much massaging does it take to fit the BMW seats in.  Do pictures
> exist of this conversion?

The answer, of course, depends on exactly which seats you chose. But the
bottom line for a project of this level is that you need to center the
seat to the steering wheel, you need to account for the fact that the
center console gets wider toward the front of the car so you therefore
need to angle the tracks a bit.

If you want to do a simple job of it, merely fabricate some brackets out
of some angle steel to allow you to bolt things up to the stock slides.

If you want to do a better job of it, toss the stock slides and get
something better (I referred to a part from Summit Racing, there are
others available either new or from the breaker yards...

The bottom line: some fabrication required. This is not a bolt-in
operation.

I did one by trial and error. I had to re-drill a few holes to get
everything to line up properly. It's "real important" that the steering
wheel is centered in relation to your driving position... this was the
hardest part of the job.

> Jorge

regards,
rml
74 TR6 - fun driver
73 TR6 - race car
94 Saturn SL2 - Daily driver
77 TR7 - roller. weighing options. There may be a V8 in its future.
84 Chebby G10 Van - it just smokes! :-)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |