Re: 1973 transmission

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: 1973 transmission
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:40:50 -0500
Robert,

I agree 100% with not ordering any parts until you physically inspect
your own gearbox.
My experience has been that only the latest TR6's can be assured of
having been produced with the steel bush boxes.

If you don't have a steel ball in the mainshaft, you've got a
'brass-bush' box. Several permutations of those are possible as you well
know.

Moss sells a steel bush kit to fit to early boxes that I would highly
recommend, since a VAST majority of the trashed boxes I see come from
the failure of the top hat bush and thrust washer.

Just to clarify (for the list):

DO NOT put the late style steel bushes in an early box. It will be
ruined. The Moss kit is specially designed to fit the early boxes, and
consists of three pieces, since the 'new' steel top hat bush is actually
a straight bush and a steel washer of proper thickness.

Cheers, Jim

>>Right. I agree. However, I need to point out that to get the correct
gears, you really need to do some "fiddling about". Case in point - in
my
'74 TR6, I had a 2nd gear top-hat bushing failure and "collateral
damage".
The 2nd mainshaft gear was toast (as was the mainshaft and 1st-2nd
synchro
hub. At any rate, according to the "book" my tranny should have had
steel
bushings etc. (BTW this was by the tranny SN, not the comm. number).
Well,
because my car is an early '74 (CF14111), I had apparently gotten a
gearbox left over from the warehouse. It had all parts from the next
most
previous generation gearbox. After staring at the parts and the TRF book
for quite some time, I gave up and called an expert (John Esposito) and
we
rectified the mystery by having me mail him the parts in question for
identity. BTW - I'm the original owner of CF14111 - the 'box was in the
car from new.>>