Re: Interior Carpeting and Window Channels

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interior Carpeting and Window Channels
From: "Russ Pagano" <pagano@home.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:03:43 -0500
Tim,
    As Berry points out, you can get the channel material from Moss and
reuse the old brackets. Remember that each of the 4 units is different. The
front and rear are different lengths and the brackets are each oriented
differently. No big deal unless you dissemble everything at once and have a
blob of parts in which case I think there are at least 16 different wrong
ways to assemble each. I suggest doing one at a time and carefully note the
length of the channel and orientation of the brackets. It's quite easy to
get good results and a big savings over the $50 each for new ones.
    As for carpet underlayment I went a different route. I used a
home/automotive insulation which looks like small bubble wrap sandwiched
between 2 pieces of aluminum foil. I believe the brand I used was Reflectix
but there are others and some use foam instead of bubble wrap. Aluminum tape
can be used to connect pieces or tape down.  It is a great sound and heat
insulator plus it adds a cushy feel to the carpets and won't absorb water.
Being thicker than felt it is somewhat more difficult to work with. The
stuff is reflects heat so well I use a spare piece to shield my drop light
when I need to place the light on carpet or the like and the insulation
doesn't even get warm to the touch. Probably available at your local
hardware store.
Russ Pagano
71 TR6
Columbia, MD