Re: Stock Tire Diameter

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Tire Diameter
From: "James A. Tabor" <jatabor@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:11:39 -0500
I have spent time researching this and would have to agree
with what is listed at the VTR web site.
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tires-TR6.html
It is recommended to go with: 215/70-15

I have calculated current tire sizes and this is the CLOSEST
one can come to what is available in the 'after market' / non-stock
size. yes, this is ever so slightly larger (1%), but IMHO it is better than
smaller from the stand point of mileage accuracy.

I had smaller tires (pirelli's) on at one time , due to miscalculation
of idiots working at a major tire store. the tires were
195/70(or 75?)15. in any case- smaller tires will add miles not driven!
performance wise they were AWESOME! but, i laid awake at night
wanted more accucate readings and more importantly the one reason
which made the TR6 my dream car when i was a teenager: that being the muscle
look of the larger (stock size) gives the car.

i have 215/70 15 michelins on my 6 and LOVE the look and to a certain degree
I am pleased with the performance.
they are softer and more rounded tires than the redlines, which aid in
handling. i miss the squared look the redlines had, but i enjoy being
able to stay on the road!

my 2 cents.

-james