Re: Overheating - HELP!

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating - HELP!
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:44:24 -0400
Tim:

I can't offer more than Sally and Dick Taylor as to possible reasons why
you're running hot, but I would like to comment on what you said was
"normal" temperature for your car.

Motorhead is a Triumph garage in Northern Va. They have a good
reputation and offer a catalog of parts, advice and diagnostic guidance
to help solve problems and symptoms.  According to their literature, our
cars (I have a '75 Six) should run between half and three quarters on
the temperature gauge. Mine runs at just a needle width under half and
creeps up to half and slightly higher in summer stop and go traffic. If
yours is running at less than half, the temperature sending unit may
have to be replaced. You mentioned that yours runs at 1/4 to 3/8. One
way to further check the temperature gauge is by grounding the sending
unit wire. If the gauge goes to hot, the sending unit may need to be
replaced.  A new unit is about $3.

Please let us know what you find out.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va