Rear Hub End Play and the Factory Service Manual

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub End Play and the Factory Service Manual
From: "J Garruba" <jgarruba@ematic.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:17:01 -0800
Dear Listers,

    In researching a job on my rear driveline, I came across an interesting
procedure in the 72 Factory Service Manual.  Apparently, it recommends
tightening the large stub axle bolt in the rear hubs as a correction for
excessive end play of the hub.  I was under the impression that once the end
play was beyond spec, the hub needed to be disassembled and rebuilt.  Have any
of you performed this procedure?  This could really save a guy some bucks if
it is true.

Best Regards,
Joseph Garruba