Re: FW: Rear shock conversion

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Rear shock conversion
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:31:01 -0800 (PST)
First off, stay away from the Moss Kit.  If it is the one I'm
remembering, it requires bolting in some plates to the inner fender.
This is not a good idea, as the body shell is not made to handle the
loads transferred from the shock absorber.  The best kits are those of
the one piece bracket design which bolt in the original place of the
shock.  Two bolts the conversion bracket directly to the frame in the
same place where the original lever arm shocks bolt, no modifications
needed to the body or frame.  The one piece bracket bolts to the frame,
the top end of the shock bolts to the bracket, and the bottom end of
the shock bolts in the hole in the trailing arm where the original
lever arm shocks connect.  Downward movement limits are handled by the
shock you install, which has built in upper and lower bumpstops, just
like all tube shocks.  The one piece bracket type conversions are sold
by NAR Inc (www.narinc.com) and others.  I have them on my Six, with
Spax adjustables at all 4 corners.  Huge improvement over the lever
arms.  Check the list archives for more details, this topic was covered
a while ago.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://photos.yahoo.com/