TR6 Speedo drive removal

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR6 List
Subject: TR6 Speedo drive removal
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:10:17 -0500
List,
I have a significant leak from the speedo drive of CF38690UO. I
tightened the screw that holds the speedo drive to the o/d unit but it
still leaks so I have purchased the o ring and seal for the speedo unit
and hope that will cure the leak.
I recall that when I rebuilt the transmission many years ago the speedo
drive was a bear to get out, and that with a suggestion from the TR list
I made a simple tool using an old speedo cable nut and some washers to
finally remove it. My question is, has anyone removed the speedometer
drive unit from the o/d with the unit in the car, and if so is there any
advice that they might give me before I dive in. I really don't want to
remove the tranny cover (with a/c it's a real bear) if I can access it
from under the car.
TIA,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA