Re: differential noises

To: F.Meert@ogdsoftware.nl (Frank Meert)
Subject: Re: differential noises
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:00:58 -0800 (PST)
Frank---While it's possible that the diff is worn out, give some more
checks to the U-joint(s). Differentials that "go bad" take a long time
to do so, unless run dry. (Mine has over 290,000 on it and is silent.)
The U-joints being "bolted firmly together" is no guarantee that one or
more of them isn't the culprit here. I'd check them again, this time
look for play in the spiders themselves, by holding one end of the shaft
it connects, while reversing the direction at the other side. Rocking it
back and forth will uncover this. Take a light with you to be certain.
If it's a prop shaft joint, it usually will also make the gearshift
vibrate along with the noise you hear. My money is on this!  Come
back...

Dick T.
'73