Frame Off Restoratio Question TR-6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Frame Off Restoratio Question TR-6
From: "Rick Patton" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:53:56 -0500
Doug,

I also have just done a similar project on a very rusty 75. The trailing arm
sections were bad as were the sills, floors, rear wings, etc.

Before starting I asked the experts if the sills and floors should be done
while the body is sitting on he frame. They said it's best to do it together
to keep the alignment of the doors intact. I did the left side on the frame
but it took forever. Because complete panels were replaced, all of the old
panels had to be cut away including the spot welds.

Running out of time, the right side was done off the frame. Angle iron
bracing was welded into the door opening before removing the sills.
It went much faster but the body alignment needed to be tweeked a bit. It
wasn't off by much but needed shims for door alignment. It's back on the
frame now and assembled enough to put it away until warmer weather.

Working the body off the frame was much easier and much more comfortable.
I used four wooden saw horses about 34 inches tall and two 8 foot 4x4's to
support the body. The forward 4x4 passed just under the front edge of the
floor with a short 4x4 block to keep from damaging the lower sill edges. The
rear 4x4 crossed at the front edge of the trunk floor with a 2x4 block. At
this height the frame with engine and transmission was rolled back under for
reassembly. I've got some pictures if your interested.

Good luck with your project.

Rick Patton
Brunswick, Maine
75 CF36050U