clutch questions

To: "6packlist" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch questions
From: "Ryan Van Luchene" <2000man@eudoramail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:47:01 -0700
Today I tried to bleed the clutch following the instructions in the Bentley
manual. After about 15 pumps of the pedal, I was still getting air bubbles in
the Mityvac container. Then, my friend who was operating the pedal for me, said
the pedal went totally soft. Somehow, a bunch of air got into the system, and
now I can't get it out. I've repeated the Bentley procedure a few more times
and nothing is improving.
Should I buy a vacuum system for my Mityvac now, or is there a way I can get
the air out with just the basic "container and hoses" kit? Any other
suggestions would be appreciated.

I've also found that my clutch pedal clevis pin bore is producing way too much
slack in the linkage. Since new pedals are not available, and I figure most
used ones probably have some wear in them, I might have someone repair it by
welding. If anyone has done this to their TR, could you let me know how it was
done? I don't know if I should fill in the bore w/metal & redrill, or weld 2
metal plates on either side of the bore and redrill?

Ryan
'71

---