Oil filter spring

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filter spring
From: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:26:13 GMT
Hello 6Pack listers:

I've been driving and enjoying my '69 TR6 for about a year now and usually
take it to my local auto shop for oil changes.  They were booked and busy
this weekend so I decided to do the job at home.  I always provide the
filter since I keep a few on-hand.

I noticed that the TR6 parts catalogue calls for a spring to be mounted
outboard of the filter between the filter canister and the filter valve.
This spring was not installed when I removed the old filter.  How critical
is the spring to the oil pressure and will I do any harm by driving the car
until I can obtain one?  Obviously, I've been driving for at least the past
three months without a spring installed.

Will the spring or lack of one affect the oil pressure reading?  I have 98K
on the engine and am planning on removing the engine for rebuilding anyway
this winter.

TIA

Best regards,
Walt Fogle