Re: Starting after a deluge

To: trumpet@bellsouth.net (John Summers)
Subject: Re: Starting after a deluge
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
John---I don't know why your '74 is normally hard to start. Most are
not. (I'm assuming that you mean it is difficult to start, even in dry
weather.)  Humidity must be playing a part in you case, and the plastic
tarp being non-breathable could be adding to holding and/or creating
moisture. In any event, spraying under the distributor cap and across
the points with Water Displacement-40 should be all that's needed, if
wetness under the cap is the issue.  While starter fluid (ether)
squirted into the air intake will aid in starting a cold engine at high
altitude, it shouldn't be necessary in most instances. Our engines will
tolerate a lot of water in the fuel, so long as there's also a
reasonable amount of fuel drawn in. All of this is easy enough for me to
say, living in sunny Ca.! (I did have to use the WD-40 to start a guy's
'70 TR after a steam-cleaning. Hey-it was a mess!)

Dick T.
'73