Ammeter indication

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ammeter indication
From: "Rick Patton" <rpatton@clinic.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 21:01:01 -0400
Bert,

I had a similar problem with my 75. The voltmeter would slowly sink even
though the alternator was opertaing properly. Running headlights, heater
motor, or wipers hastened the discharge. My turn signals operated slower and
slower. Without any accessories it would inducate a modest charge.

I finally reached the point where I couldn't trust the car to get me home.
The solution actually turned out to be quite simple. Somehow I had lost the
ground connection between the body and the battery negative terminal. A
jumper wire with aligator clips between the negative battery post and the
wiper motor body created a small spark, a sure sign that the ground was
lacking. The jumper cured ALL my electrical problems. It has since been
replaced by #12 wire from the negative battery post to the wiper motor
mounting bolt. A good braided ground cable from the bell housing to the body
will do the same.

Hope this helps.

Rick
75 Delft, all apart