More on engine break in

To: "6 pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on engine break in
From: "Rex R. Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:59:59 -0700
I've done a little research since I sent my message on engine break-in
periods.  Jim Davis and others have questioned driving the car immediately
as they are aware of the necessity to hold the engine at a constant,
moderate speed for a specified period when firing up a newly overhauled
engine.  It turns out that this is for proper camshaft and lifter break-in,
and is usually specified by the cam manufacturer.   This does nothing to
seat the rings, however, so once the specified time at a continuous speed
has been performed, I would still get the car on the road to do some
deceleration/acceleration cycles to seat the rings before the newly honed
cylinders smooth out too much to permit proper seating.  Thanks for the
catch Jim and others.

Rex Townsend