Fwd: Re: Starting Problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Starting Problems
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:18:06 -0400
I wouldn't recommend taking the bush in the starter out, it no doubt serves
a purpose and you may damage your starter.  If you find that the ring gear
has moved on the flywheel, you will have to remove the gearbox and pull the
flywheel off, because pressing it down through the starter motor hole will
be next to impossible.  If the teeth on the ring gear are damaged, which
they probably are, you should fit a new ring gear.  The old one is easy to
remove by simply smacking it really hard with a chisel positioned between
two teeth.  The old ring gear will break in two pieces and fall off the
flywheel.  Then, put the flywheel in the freezer overnight to shrink it a
bit.  Before final assembly, put the new ring gear in the oven at 300
degrees or so.  Pick up the ring gear with a few sets of pliers and drop it
on the flywheel, it will slide right on.  Make sure you put the ring gear
on the flywheel the right way around, there is a wrong way!  The teeth on
the ring gear are beveled on one side to aid in getting the starter to
engage.  Note this before removing the old ring gear.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6