2000-register

Re: blown head gasket. :-(

To: Mike Sharp <Mike_Sharp@pacbell.net>, 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: blown head gasket. :-(
From: Roly Alcock <roly@mothy.clara.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:42:46 +0000
I had a similar experience some years ago with a 1983 Jaguar XJ6 S3.

The original problem was that one if the cylinder studs snapped (right down
the bottom) due to the rotting effect of barsleak as it settles in the
bottom of the water gallery. (Jaguar used to recommend barsleak being put
in at every service!!!!)

Removing the old stud is another story, suffice to say I made up a drill
18" long and a tap the same length, and somehow got it right.

As a precaution I changed all the studs for new ones, many of the existing
studs had only 1/8" metal left where it had been eroded away.

So carefully cleaned off the domed head nuts, assemble everything and
torqued it all down. Started it up and instantly head gasket blew, water,
oil and c**p all over the place. Took it all apart sent head off for
facing, checked block for trueness , put it all together again. Started
engine, instantly blew head gasket again.

Turned out that the new studs were machined a bit out of sped, and the head
nuts were jamming on the threads as soon as some torsion was being applied
- I did wonder why the studs kept unscrewing when I removed the nuts.

I cheated in the end by liberally oiling the threads and holding the
torques wrench just off the click, and watched the each nut go at least
another one revolution round - albeit slowly.

No more problem after that. I could remove the Jag head in 30 minutes and
re-assemble in 45 mins after that little episode.

Cheers

Roly

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list