2000-register

Diff Seal

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Diff Seal
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 20:54:36 +0100
Hi All,

Following up on the recent thread on diff nose seals and the need to
tighten the diff flange nut.
I changed the diff nose seal on my PI last week. This had to be done
because the oil was leaking out faster than I could replenish it.
On the saloon, this job involves undoing the driveshafts and diff rear
mounts so that the axle can be swung down on its outer mounts to allow
the diff to be taken off backwards. This means the exhaust rear section
has to be removed so its a load of fun.
The point is that, on the saloon, the diff flange nut doesn't have to
come off. The drive 'flange' is actually a splined collar and the seal
can be removed from around it-albeit with some difficulty.
On my car, the nut wasn't loose, as some have reported. The diff is now
retaining its oil. Incidentally, the breather-a split pin in a hole-was
well seized in place, which might have contributed to or even caused the
leak. It's worth checking.

Hope this puts the minds of saloon owners at rest re. the flange nut.

Cheers,

Dave Hill