[WPTA] Fwd: 72 TR6 replace alternator

Kevin Dietrick kevin.dietrick at gmail.com
Wed May 29 20:42:05 MDT 2024

Greetings all.  I am a new member to the group, and need some help/advice
on replacement of alternator on my 72 TR6.  The attached photos are of
the old alternator, which I think is not an original part (no markings on
it except "made in USA").  The wiring harness (3rd photo attached) has 6
wires emerging, two of which go to the current alternator.  One of the two
wires going to alternator is brown, and the second is brown/white (4th
photo attached).

Now the new alternator (purchased a few years back from Roadster Factory)
has instructions to replace the original 5 wire with 3 wire, but
the instructions don't seem to match the current wiring in my car.  I'm
hesitant to guess on the wiring for fear of damaging the new device or,
worse, the wiring harness in the car.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Dietrick
Zelienople, PA